Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Anchalee got Staph infection on her buttock.

About little more than a week ago, a small round circle developed on Anchalee's buttock. It gradually turned into a bigger, darker and tender spot. I applied Neosporin (Triple oiltment) to the area every time I changed her, but it didn't go away. The area became more inflamed and more tender with about a size of a quarter in diameter . My Anchalee didn't complain unless I touch the area. I knew this was an infection of some source but I wasn't sure what it was. I didn't contact our doctor because they wasn't any fever developed with these symptoms. It took about a week for the lump to pop and drained off the pus. I called the doctor the second days after it popped and took Anchalee to see him. He said it was Staph infection and prescribed her Keflex, oral antibiotic to take. Apparently, this infection is very common in young children. Sometimes, it happens and disappears by itself and sometimes, it can get very serious. After 2 days of Antibiotic, the lump on my baby's bottom reduced in half. First treatment day, I gave her warm bath to prevent the wound to close so that it could drain all the pus out. I also continue to use Neosporin cream on the area with each diaper change. Today, the third day of the treatment, the wound is completely closed and the lump is less a pea. Throughout this whole time, Anchalee is very good sport. She takes her medicine on her own without hesitation. Her sister always stands next to her and gives her support. Suwan even tried to check her sister's butt out couple of times to see how the area look. "Sister sore butt", she pointed to Anchalee's buttock and then laughed.
As a mom, I feel somewhat guilty that I didn't call the doctor sooner but on the other hand, I feel fortunate that I did called him when I did. I am sharing this because they might be many other moms out there that have similar experiences and don't quite know how to deal with it. So, I hope my experience with Staph infection with help answer some of your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google