Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sjogren's Syndrom - my worst nightmare of dry mouth and eyes

I have now gain one more medical diagnoses to add to my collection - Sjogren’s Syndrome.  To read about Sjogren’s Syndrome visit: http://www.sjogrens.org.  My symptoms of dry eyes and dry mouth developed quite a while back, not sure exactly when.  I remembered telling my doctors and my dentist.  Interestingly no one suggested any thing to me.  About 3 months ago, my symptoms of dry eyes and mouth got really bad.  It woke me up in the middle of the night.  I had to get a glass of water to drink because my tongue was dry and my eyes were irritated.  I used eye drop 2-3 times daily but this didn’t help much.  Finally I asked my eye doctor to prescribe Restasis eye drop.  He prescribed Restasis along with Lotemax (antiinflammatory drop) and so far it hasn’t start taking effect yet.  Usually it takes about 3 months for the drug to take effects.  Restasis has a great reward program for the patient.  I cover up to $45 on my 90 days prescription. Visit www.restasis.com to get a rebate and information about restasis.  I just got $20 refund back in the mail about a month after mail in rebate.

It’s funny how my dentist has never suggested me using mouth care products that designed for dry mouth.  He told me that my gum has recessed and that my teeth and gum look like 50 years-old lady (I was about 35 at the time).  I was alarmed and afraid that pretty soon I will loose all my gum and teeth if I don’t start doing anything.  I take really good care of my mouth and teeth and the following check up my dentist told me that my teeth looked great and she didn’t even need to clean them.  That’s odd!  She just brushed them briefly.  

I’m thankful to my new Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Sjogren’s Syndrome and recommended Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste.  I found these products from Drugstore.com and the price is really good.  Most People who use Biotene products seem to love them, according to their reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google