Monday, February 28, 2011

How to Cook White Rice in a Rice Cooker

I love white rice.  How can I not love rice when I'm Thai and I grew up in a rice farm.  My grandfather had many acre of rice field and he that what he did.  Grew rice and rice only.  Thais eat rice just about every meal with others condiment dishes such as curry, vegetable dish and meat dish.  We often don't just eat one meal dish when we eat Thai food.  I found it so easy an convenience to have a rice cooker at home so that I can just put my rice in and forget about it.  I bought my rice cooker twice in the past 20 years.  The brand I have is Tiger Brand and it works great.  I think it holds up to 10 cups of cooked rice.  I normally use jasmine rice which is a type of white rice.  Its aroma is so amazing.  The hot steam and water won't leak in my Tiger Rice Cooker like other cheap electric rice cookers because the lid is designed to keep bubble in place.  You can then take it apart and clean it later.  How do I cook my white jasmine rice?  Very easy--just add the rice in the pot and add water, then push the button.  Usually it takes about 1:1.5 of rice and water ratio.  For example, if I were to cook one cup of rice, I would add 1.5 cups of water.  This is the way I normally make my white rice - in my electric rice cooker.  You can also cook brown rice in a rice cooker too just have to use little more water. It would be like 1:2 ratio for brown rice and water.

I also cook my rice on stove in a sauce pan or sometimes cast iron.  I even cook my rice in microwave occasionally.   Anyway you choose to cook your rice is up to you.  I thought it would be fun to share this with you since I like my rice cooker so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google